Engage with people who wouldn’t usually walk through your door.
Alpha Online uses the same content as the in-person Alpha, but it is hosted in a digital space. You still have the option of sharing a virtual meal with guests before the talk, and guests break into groups for discussion.
Alpha Online allows churches to take evangelism to the digital space. It reaches further and wider, empowering congregations to create fresh opportunities for more people to hear the gospel.
The Online Experience
Churches who have run Alpha online have seen significant impact on the guests and leaders who took part.
“We were blown away with the consistent attendance and immediate transparency in the breakout rooms. From that single, last-minute online course, six people chose to be baptized. God is moving; even online!”
—Westminster Chapel, USA
- Alpha Online opens the door of your church to people who may never have joined Alpha
- Guests are more likely to come back consistently, session after session
- Alpha Online engages and mobilises young people
- Alpha Online develops long-term disciples and leaders in your church
- Alpha Online can be mobilised quickly with minimal resources
In addition to adhering to locally recommended health practices, we also want all our Alpha courses run online to be safe places where church communities can host a series of interactive sessions allowing guests to explore their questions about life, faith and God in a welcoming, judgement-free and safe environment. Please read our tips for maintaining a safe environment before hosting sessions online.
If churches are not able to physically run an Alpha course, we recommend moving Alpha online! We firmly believe that as churches innovate in these unforeseen circumstances, God can reach an even greater number of people.
1. Get to know AlphaNow
AlphaNow is our very own video conferencing platform, which is integrated with MyAlpha for a unique Alpha experience. You can find out more here, and access it when you sign up on MyAlpha.
2. Decide on the Format
Option 1: Have all participants dial in to watch the video or talk. After the video or talk is finished, break out into individual groups.
* If you aren’t using AlphaNow, be aware that not all web conferencing services allow for this. We recommend using this model if the total number of participants is under 75. Assigning everyone to the correct breakout groups can get tricky with a large number of people.
Option 2: Provide the weekly video to all hosts and have each group join into their own web conference. We recommend using this model if the total number of Alpha participants is more than 75.
3. Alpha Weekend Away
If you’re able to meet in smaller groups, consider having an in-person day or weekend away. Churches find that by this point, guests really want to meet in person and are open to a non-digital format.
If doing an online weekend away, we recommend:
1. Watch all three videos in one day.
2. Include live or pre-recorded testimonies to create an authentic and personal environment.
3. Add fun elements—surveys, games, humorous videos. The day should feel varied and not lag.
4. Prayer Ministry
We recommend each host feels out their group when it comes to prayer ministry. Options include:
1. Breaking out into smaller groups to pray for each other.
2. Pray together one-on-one.
3. Invite guests to request prayer from the group host via chat or email. The group host reaches out individually to the guests to make time for a brief prayer.
Much to our surprise, when we offered Alpha online—whereas we normally had 35-40, maybe 50 people sign up—this time we had 150 people sign up. I am delighted for what God is doing and for the way God is leading us. It is such an effective tool. It builds new believers, it instructs older believers, and it is especially welcoming for pre-Christians who have a lot of questions and need a safe place to ask these questions.
Even though the church couldn’t gather for the past few weeks, thanks to Alpha online, we still managed to continue to share the Gospel. Yesterday, one of our guests from Alpha online joined us in the service and offered her life to Jesus.
Using Alpha online as a tool to share the gospel can be easily done by the church. First, there’s no need for physical location. Then, no food preparation is needed. It is cost saving. With only a laptop or a phone, you can run Alpha online.