The Parenting Children Course
The Parenting Children Course is for any parents, step-parents, prospective parents or carers of children aged 0 – 10 years.
WHAT IS THE PARENTING CHILDREN COURSE?
The Parenting Children Course is for any parents, grandparents, solo parents, step-parents, prospective parents or carers of children aged 0 – 10 years.
WHY DO THE COURSE?
- Children do not arrive with an instruction manual
- No role we undertake is more important than parenting
Family life is under great pressure today and parents face bewildering choices about how to parent effectively. Discovering we are not alone in the challenges we face and picking up ideas from other parents can make a huge difference. We can all learn how to make even the happiest family better.
Find Out More
The Parenting Children Course was developed by Nicky and Sila Lee, authors of The Marriage Book and The Parenting Book. They have been married for over thirty years, have four children and three grandchildren, and live in London. They started The Parenting Children Course in 1990, and it continues to spread with many courses now running around the world.
The Parenting Children Course is made up of five weekly sessions lasting 2¼ hours, including time for a meal. Each session may be split into two and run over ten shorter sessions lasting 1½ hours.
- Building strong foundations
- Meeting our children’s needs
- Setting boundaries
- Teaching healthy relationships
- Our long term aim
Over seven sessions of the course you will discover practical tools to help you:
- Understand each other’s needs
- Communicate more effectively
- Grow closer through resolving conflict
- Heal the ways you’ve hurt each other
- Recognise how your upbringing affects your relationship
- Improve relationships with parents and in-laws
- Develop greater sexual intimacy
- Discover each other’s love languages and much, much more!
WHAT CAN I EXPECT?
Each session includes:
- A fantastic atmosphere that is welcoming, encouraging and fun. Courses are run in all kinds of venues.
- A delicious meal or snack – each session begins with something to eat and drink, giving you space to relax and chat to other parents or carers.
- Practical talks that are informative and fun.
- Small groups based on the age of your eldest child so that you can meet other parents and carers who have lots in common with you.
- Time to discuss the challenges you are facing and how to establish long term strategies for your own family. However, you will not be required to share anything about your family life that you would prefer not to. Every part of the course is optional, including contributing to the small group discussions.
WHO IS IT FOR?
- Are you a parent, step-parent or carer of one of more children aged 0 to 10 years?
- Are you expecting your first child?
- Would you like your family life to be the best it can be?
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of those questions, then this course is for you, whether you feel all is going well or you are facing challenges. This course is for every type of parenting situation, including parenting on your own, step-parenting and parenting as a couple. While The Parenting Children Course is based on Christian principles, it is designed for parents and carers with or without a Christian faith.
Whatever your situation, the practical tools you learn can help you to improve and strengthen your family life.
Don’t just take our word for it – this is what some past guests have said about the course.
SAM & CHRISTIAN
I have seriously studied a lot of great PARENTING BOOKS like The Incredible Years, Loving your Kids on Purpose, Parenting for Fun, Baby Whisperer and I also have wonderful experience as Governor of a most amazing urban state school in Chelsea which is a model in the Early Year Education. However, only meeting weekly at The Parenting Course and actually discussing my own every day journey with my very real children helped bring together everything I had read, learnt, had been told, and my shared experience of others, as well as all my natural instincts – yes, Sila assured me I have them tucked away somewhere! Every week I thrashed out (in a very safe environment as Christians won’t judge your maddest mistakes, and even make a few themselves which is comforting) all the best and most well established parenting theories presented in the western world and began to understand how they would actually work in my own family life. I really wanted enjoy my children at the same time as bringing the up as the unbelievably kind, loving and impeccably mannered, blissfully contented Oxford scholarship candidates they will surely be! I wanted to enjoy the often gruelling process and not just keep calm and carry on. Not just wait until the day they are less excitable. Heaven forbid. Let them teach me to live every day as if it were the first. Let me enjoy them in the context of being tired, praying for patience and being completely overwhelmed by the joyous burden of knowing that these are their formative years, which will could set them on a happy path in their own walk in life and with the Lord and I am their mother and that is my job! So scary, as in fact a 10 minute flute practice and a spelling test this evening will be quite an uphill struggle. I feel out numbered. But I remind myself that I am not – and have chosen strongly to believe.
Other Alpha Resources
We hope you’ve enjoyed The Parenting Children Course and that what you’ve learned will make a difference to your future together. We hope that as you keep investing in your relationship with your children, it will grow stronger in the years to come.
Alpha is a ten week practical introduction to the Christian faith. It is designed primarily for non-churchgoers, and is a wonderful opportunity to explore life, meaning and faith in an informal, fun and friendly environment.
We’d love to see you take the next step with our Marriage Course. It is for any couple who wants to invest into their relationship, whether you’ve been together 1 or 61 years and whether you have a strong relationship or are struggling.
THE PARENTING BOOK
Nicky & Sila Lee
Alpha International 2009
Drawing on their own experience of bringing up four children, and material from their parenting courses, Nicky and Sila Lee bring fresh insights to the task of parenting. Full of valuable advice and practical tips.
ANGER: HANDLING A POWERFUL EMOTION IN A HEALTHY WAY
Northfield Publishing 2007
Further help for parents to understand and handle their anger.
HOW TO REALLY LOVE YOUR ANGRY CHILD
David C. Cook 2004
Further insights to train children to handle their anger.
WHO MADE ME?
Malcolm and Meryl Doney and illustrated by Nick Butterworth and Mick Inkpen
Candle Books 2006
Illustrated book to explain the facts of life to children.
The Parenting Course utilizes many volunteers to not only lead the courses, but also to help support the parents on the courses and ensure the sessions run smoothly. There are several ways to get involved: Please contact Alpha NZ 095253139 or email email@example.com to enquire how to lead a course, and for any information on running a curse we would love to hear from you!
BECOME A SUPPORT COUPLE
Support couples attend each session of the course and are available for any couples that need additional help or guidance. Each guest couple should have their own table so support couples are not asked to dine with the guests.
Prayer plays an extremely vital role in everything we do regarding The Marriage Course. We would greatly appreciate your prayers, specifically in the following areas:
- For each guest couple and their families
- For all of the course leaders and support couples
- For God to strengthen marriages and family life around the world
- For our ministry at Holy Trinity Brompton and Nicky and Sila’s work in marriage and parenting
LEAD A COURSE
Course leaders are needed throughout the world as our courses grow rapidly. If you are interested in becoming a course leader please contact us.
BECOME A MEMBER OF THE VOLUNTEER TASKFORCE
Volunteers help in a variety of ways:
- Greeting guests as they arrive
- Administrative duties
- Helping with set up, laying tables and decorations
- Serving food, coffee/tea etc.
- Clearing up
If you are interested in volunteering, please find a course near you and contact the course leaders to get started!