The Marriage Preparation Course
The Marriage Preparation course if for anyone who is dating, engaged or considering getting married. Do you want to have the best possible foundation and invest into your relationship?
WHAT IS THE MARRIAGE PREPARATION COURSE?
A five session course set in a fantastic atmosphere. You will be served with a candlelit meal and/or coffee, tea and dessert in a romantic setting while listening to practical talks that are informative and fun, either given live or played on DVD. There is never any group work and you will never be asked to share anything about your relationship with anyone other than your partner.
WHY DO THE COURSE?
If you’re like most people you prepare and plan for many things in life: education, career, retirement and holidays. And most couples spend up to 250 hours planning their wedding, but very little time, if any, planning for married life. There are many things you can do to begin building a lifelong, happy marriage. Investing in your relationship before you are married will reap rewards for many years to come.
Find Out More
The Marriage Preparation Course was developed by Nicky and Sila Lee, co-authors of The Marriage Book and The Parenting Book. They have been married for over thirty years, have four children and are on the staff at Holy Trinity Brompton – the London church that started the Alpha course. They started The Marriage Preparation Course in 1985 and The Marriage Course in 1996, and the courses continue to spread with thousands of courses now running around the world.
They have spoken to thousands on the subject of marriage and are the co-authors of The Marriage Book which has sold over 150,000 copies since it was published in 2000. They run The Marriage Preparation Course, along with The Marriage Course, three times a year at Holy Trinity Brompton with around 160 couples on each course.
Over five sessions of the course you will discover practical tools to help you build the foundations for a lasting marriage. You will look at:
- The importance of commitment
- How to recognise and appreciate your differences
- The art of communication
- Resolving conflict
- The importance of spending time together and nurturing your friendship
- Making each other feel loved
- Developing a good sexual relationship
- The importance of talking about your goals, values and dreams
WHAT CAN I EXPECT?
The course takes place over five evenings. A typical evening starts at 7pm and finishes by 9.45pm. Each session includes:
- Fantastic atmosphere that many say feels like a date night. Courses are run in all kinds of venues – but wherever your local course is run you should find a great atmosphere and a friendly welcome.
- A meal
- Practical talks that are informative and fun.
- Coffee and discussion time as a couple. You will be given opportunities to discuss the topics with your fiancé(e). Music is played so you can’t hear couples and they can’t hear you!
- No group work, so relax – you will not have to share anything about your relationship with anyone else.
- Homework – at the end of each session you are given some homework to do together. This will help you to build on what you have learnt and give you the opportunity to apply it to your relationship. Don’t worry – it won’t be marked! It isn’t looked at by anyone else and is just for your own benefit.
If you are interested in running a course or looking for resources please contact Alpha New Zealand 095253139 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
WHO IS IT FOR?
- Are you dating, compatible, engaged or seriously considering marriage?
- Do you want to have the best possible start to your marriage?
If you answered yes to these questions then The Marriage Preparation Course is for you.
The Marriage Preparation Course is for any couple who wants to give their relationship and marriage the best possible start. It doesn’t matter how long you have been engaged – some couples have set a wedding date, while others have not. Or if you have been living together and would like to explore the idea of getting married, or if one or both of you have been married before.
Whilst the course is based on Christian principles, it is designed for all couples with or without a church background. You do not need to be getting married in a church to come on the course.
Other Alpha Course
We hope you’ve enjoyed The Marriage Preparation Course and that your partnership in marriage will be a source of great joy and encouragement. We want you to build a marriage that lasts a lifetime and it is important to remember to continue to invest in your relationship.
Alpha is a ten week practical introduction to the Christian faith. It is designed primarily for non-churchgoers, and is a wonderful opportunity to explore life, meaning and faith in an informal, fun and friendly environment.
We’d love to see you take the next step with our Marriage Course. It is for any couple who wants to invest into their relationship, whether you’ve been together 1 or 61 years and whether you have a strong relationship or are struggling.
Don’t just take our word for it – this is what some past guests have said about the course. Why not share your story?
DAN AND KATE
Dan: ‘While many couples spend hours preparing for their wedding and comparatively little time thinking beyond it, we found The Marriage Preparation Course an amazing, romantic and fun way to create space for us as a couple to do just that amidst all the chaos of wedding planning. It helped us to look ahead to life after the day itself.
Kate: ‘The course gave us tools to fight together to keep our marriage strong. It laid firm foundations for our love to last far beyond our romantic Sardinian honeymoon. We always make up before bed. We affirm one another with compliments a lot. We make an effort to look nice for each other and we try to remain open to what the other is thinking, even if we don’t initially agree’.
EMMA AND TOM
‘I think the most beneficial section of The Marriage Preparation Course for us was learning about commitment and resolving conflict. In particular, taking time to spend with each other each week and the exercise in the resolving conflict section about how to resolve conflict constructively- that one has come out several times since!’
The Marriage Preparation Course utilizes many volunteers to not only lead the courses, but also to help support the couples on the courses and ensure the sessions run smoothly.
There are several ways to get involved: Please contact the office 095253139 or email email@example.com to enquire how to lead this course or to look for resources.
BECOME A SUPPORT COUPLE
Support couples attend each session of the course and are available for any couples that need additional help or guidance. Each guest couple should have their own table so support couples are not asked to dine with the guests.
Prayer plays an extremely vital role in everything we do regarding The Marriage Course. We would greatly appreciate your prayers, specifically in the following areas:
- For each guest couple and their families
- For all of the course leaders and support couples
- For God to strengthen marriages and family life around the world
- For our ministry at Holy Trinity Brompton and Nicky and Sila’s work in marriage and parenting
LEAD A COURSE
Course leaders are needed throughout the world as our courses grow rapidly. If you are interested in becoming a course leader please contact us.
BECOME A MEMBER OF THE VOLUNTEER TASKFORCE
Volunteers help in a variety of ways:
- Greeting guests as they arrive
- Administrative duties
- Helping with set up, laying tables and decorations
- Serving food, coffee/tea etc.
- Clearing up
If you are interested in volunteering, please find a course near you and contact the course leaders to get started!